How do I change disks?
Help! The game/software I’m using is asking for the next disk to be inserted into drive DF0: How do you swap/change disks in WinUAE?
- Press F12
- Select Properties Disk Drives
- On the DF0: slot click the ‘…’ button on the right and select your A.D.F (Amiga Disk File)
- Now click the OK button to return back to emulation
- If you’re playing a game you may need to press you fire button
You can also change/inset disk images by using the following key shortcut combinations:
- To insert disk image into drive DF0: then press END+F1
- To insert disk image into drive DF1: then press END+F2
- To insert disk image into drive DF2: then press END+F3
- To insert disk image into drive DF3: then press END+F4
You can also Eject the disk image from disk drive by use the following key shortcut combinations:
- To Eject disk image from drive DF0: then press SHIFT+END+F1
- To Eject disk image from drive DF1: then press SHIFT+END+F2
- To Eject disk image from drive DF2: then press SHIFT+END+F3
- To Eject disk image from drive DF3: then press SHIFT+END+F4
How to use Disk Swapper in WinUAE
For games that use more than 4 disks, then the easiest way to change disks is to use Disk Swapper. For example, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is an 11 disk game. Each disk would be inserted in order into the disk swapper list. You can do it in any order but then you are likely to get confused what disk is in which slot!
Once you've start WinUAE with the disk swapper set up, you'd be greeted with the traditional boot screen (kickstart screen) which varies depending on what Amiga you are emulating.
So to boot Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, you need to insert disk one by holding down END with the number 1 (END+1) on the Qwerty keyboard. This game will now begin to load.
Most games ask when a certain numbered disk needs to be inserted. So when you get this prompt on screen you need to once again hold END with the corresponding numbered key. ie "Insert Disk 9", would be to hold down END, and while pressing END - press 9. (END+9)
For disks numbered 11 and above, while holding END and SHIFT together, enter the disk number the game asks for, and so on….
Tip by quahappy
For a more detailed guide with screen captures see: How to 'change disks' and use the 'Disk Swapper' feature (By Paul, The Green Amiga Alien)